City of Nanaimo's COVID-19 Response
In order to be compliant with the latest Public Health Orders issued by the Province of British Columbia, the City of Nanaimo will be implementing the following:
August 25, 2021:
- Requiring that anybody inside recreation facilities wear a mask (exceptions for children under the age of 12 or those with a medical condition or disability).
As of September 13, 2021:
- Requiring participants 12 years and older to present proof of vaccination showing they have had at least their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before the start of any recreation program.
- Requiring any community group or business renting indoor City of Nanaimo facilities, including community groups, businesses or sports groups to verify that their participants are compliant with the Public Health Order (first dose of vaccine).
- Procedures for verifying vaccination passwords are yet to be determined.
As of October 24, 2021:
- Requiring participants 12 years and older to present proof of vaccination showing they have had both of their doses of the COVID-19 vaccine before the start of any recreation program.
- Requiring any community group or business renting City of Nanaimo indoor facilities to verify that their participants are fully vaccinated, meaning that they are in compliant with the Public Health Order (fully vaccinated).
The City of Nanaimo is in consultation with Island Health, British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA), viaSport and other organizations to ensure that we continue to follow the Public Health Orders as intended and that we are consistent with other BC municipalities.
We will be posting updates on our social media channels and on our website as Public Health Orders are revised.
September 1-15, 2021:
- Beban Park undergoing major electrical upgrade so Social Centre will not be open; Beban Pool lobby and program registration available.
We are in Phase 3 of the BC Restart Plan:
- Fitness classes - all indoor fitness classes allowed to run with normal capacity.
- Weight Rooms will gradually increase to normal capacity (pre-registration required).
- Indoor spectators of 50 people or 50% capacity (whichever is greater) permitted.
- Outdoor spectators of 5,000 or 50% capacity (whichever is great) permitted.
- All pre-registered sessions (swimming, skating, gymnasium sports) have increased capacity (pre-registration required).
- New Communicable Disease Guidelines in place.
- Oliver Woods Community Centre, Bowen Complex and Nanaimo Aquatic Centre open to the public for registration, washrooms and water fountains.
- Nanaimo Ice Centre will be staffed with cashiers for public sessions.
- Hot tub, slides and saunas open at Nanaimo Aquatic Centre.
VISIT CITY OF NANAIMO COVID-19 INFO PAGE