Will Your Commute Be Affected This Week?
Up-to-date information on City construction projects:
Midtown Water Supply and Midtown Gateway Projects:
- East Wellington Road from Westwood Road to Bowen Road is an active construction site, use an alternate route over for the next couple months. Expect delays and intermittent road closures, construction traffic will be entering and exiting frequently from the work zones on the roadway shoulders. Speed limit is 30km/h 24 hours per day.
- Monday Aug. 21 crews are continuing to work in the Bowen Road and East Wellington intersection expect traffic pattern changes and delays.
- East Wellington Road will be closed to all west-bound vehicle traffic along the construction work zone between Madsen Road and Bowen Road. All businesses remain accessible, local traffic to access the business please follow the signage off Bowen for the detour to enter eastbound into this work zone.
- East Wellington Road remains open to cyclists and pedestrians during this time with the exception of the sidewalk closure east of the Parkway overpass set to reopen Friday Aug. 25. Cyclists are encouraged to dismount and walk.
- The Public Parkway Trail Parking Lot at Westwood Road and East Wellington Road is closed to the public. The Parkway Trail is still accessible.
- Thank you for your patience! Visit www.nanaimo.ca/goto/MidtownGateway and www.nanaimo.ca/goto/MidtownWater for project details.
- Terminal Avenue upgrades will be ongoing between Commercial Street and Esplanade Street
- The mid-block crosswalk at Gordon Street is closed until the installation of the new signals, expected late this year
- Pedestrians please use the crosswalks at Commercial Street and Esplanade for safe crossing
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction
- Speed limit will be reduced as this will be an active construction zone
- Obey all signs and traffic control persons
Fifth/Bruce Intersection Upgrade
- Typical construction hours are Monday to Friday, 7 am to 5 pm.
- Expect delays and account for extra time when navigating the area.
- Obey all signs and traffic control persons.
Departure Bay Road Sanitary Sewer and Watermain Upgrades
- Typical working hours are Monday to Friday 7 am to 5 pm. Traffic delays can be expected during working hours.
- Single lane traffic on Departure Bay Road will be in place adjacent to active construction.
- There will be local road closures at Smugglers Hill Drive and Granite Park Road on Aug. 24 and 25 while Departure Bay Road is being repaved.
- Residents and businesses will be notified a minimum of 48 hours in advance of any scheduled impacts to services or driveway access.
- If you live in the area and have young children, please advise them of the dangers of construction and be aware that heavy equipment and trucks have limited visibility.
Albert/Fourth Complete Streets and Utility Upgrade project:
- Albert Street will be closed to all vehicle traffic between Pine and Kennedy Streets from June 14 to Sep. 15.
- Closure will be in effect 24 hours per day.
- Please use an alternate route to avoid delays.
- Obey all signs and traffic control persons, who are there for your safety.
- Albert Street will remain open to cyclists and pedestrians during this time
Wakesiah Road storm/sewer installation
To assist with this work, the City has allowed the contractor to close Wakesiah Avenue (from Third Street to Second Street) to all through traffic from 7am Monday, August 21 to 6pm Friday, August 25 (24 hours).
Emergency services will have access to local through traffic if required.
Access to residences and businesses (local traffic) will be maintained at all times form either side of the work zone.
CURRENT CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS