It's All Coming Together!
We’ve been busy bees working on the Community Centre to make our island an even better place for everyone.
Here are some of the things that have been happening over the past few weeks:
• The design team for the Community Centre has completed 95% design drawings.
• A building permit is in hand which means we will be able to get started on the build when the time comes.
• The Municipality, who will own and operate the public amenity, has submitted its grant application for approximately $8 M to the Investing in Canada Infrastructure program.
• Donors have generously committed $1.3 M towards capital costs, which is absolutely amazing!
• And lastly, Council just gave third reading to a loan authorization bylaw to borrow the remaining funds needed – just over $4 M – to help secure the grant and reach our goal of $14.5 M. The next step will be a referendum asking islanders to decide if the Municipality can borrow up to $4,040,000 to build the Community Centre. Borrowing will only occur once we receive notice that our grant application is successful and we will only borrow the funds needed to complete the project.
As you can see a lot has been happening!
We are also continuing to fundraise to create this much needed home for our community, recreation, the arts and a permanent space for the Bowen Island Municipality, and we’d love your support.
To do that, you can make your pledge now at: www.ourislandplace.com/referendum