This included a complete renovation of the shell of the 1880’s building. The addition roof area, after blowing off in a summer storm in 2022 was replaced with a temporary fix and complete roofing was done in the Fall 2022 with a composite shake, intended to respect the original appearance of the roof. The original shakes on the turret were not touched.
In winter 2022-23 the rotten wood siding was removed from the building and was replaced with a two-tone composite wood. The two-tone green and cream has created much conversation in the community as this is a colour no one living has ever seen. As mentioned in reports and newsletters throughout 2022, the new look of our museum is the original colour pallet, harkening back to the original building when it was a Grand Trunk Railroad Station between 1880’s to early 1920’s. Though it was hard to confirm the colour from the 1800’s black and white photos, our museum staff documented the original colour when the windows were removed for replacement and found the selected colours returned the building to its near perfect match more than 140 years after the Station opened. For those that remember the building being red; you are also correct. In the 1920’s the Craigleith Station became part of the CN Railway, which is when the Grand Trunk colours were changed to the CN red. In 1968 the abandoned building was reopened as The Depot Fine Dining Restaurant and again changed colour, becoming the maroon so many think of when reflecting on the buildings colours. Minor touch-ups are still to come when the weather improves with a cream architectural band scheduled to be painted on the turret and the lightning rods painting still yet to come.
The previously replaced windows and doors were also swapped out throughout the building, leaving the original turret entry with the last original door and the house entry (shown in photo) with the replica door. Finally, the interior of the building has also had a lovely facelift, moving it from the avocado, rust, and harvest gold interior; to a crisp clean look which will celebrate the exhibits.
Staff are now busy pulling the interior together and rebuilding our favourite exhibits and a number of new ones as well. We anticipate the museum being open for visits by the end of May and are now accepting visitors into the foyer where your library holds can be retrieved and washrooms are open.
While our staff are happy to discuss the process of the renovations to the museum, anyone looking for a more in-depth conversation should book a meeting with the CEO who is happy to further discuss the investments made into our community museum.
Holds Pickup Now Available at Museum
The Museum is open for holds pickup on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 12pm to 5pm, Saturdays 10am to 4pm and Sundays 12pm to 4pm.