Webinar - Online Course on Health Impact Assessment (HIA): A Tool for Developing Healthy Public Policies
Public Health 2020: Registration Open
- Public Health 2020 is the national conference where public health professionals, researchers, policy-makers, academics, students and trainees come together to strengthen efforts to improve health and well-being, to share the latest research and information, to promote best practices and to advocate for public health issues and policies grounded in research. Registration is now open.
The Ontario Public Health Conference (TOPHC): Registration Open
- All sessions this year's TOPHC Conference have been organized thematically in the following educational pathways: Communicable Disease, Effective Public Health Practice, Healthy Eating, Healthy Environments, Health Equity, Healthy Growth and Development, Immunization, Indigenous Health, Infection Prevention and Control, Injury Prevention, School Health, and Substance Use and Harm Reduction. Registration is now open.
Call for Abstracts: 86th Annual CIPHI Education Conference
- The Durham Region Health Department is now accepting abstracts for the 2020 CIPHI National Annual Educational Conference. The conference will be held in Ajax, Ontario from October 4 – 7, 2020. The deadline for submissions is April 1, 2020. Presentation, poster, workshop or panel formats are available. Abstracts are welcome from public health partners and industry professionals. More information is available at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Canada Consultation: Boron in Drinking Water
- Health Canada has opened consultations on changes to the guideline for Boron in drinking water. The document proposes a drop from the existing recommended maximum acceptable concentration (MAC) of 5 mg/L to 2 mg/L. Interested parties can provide comments to HC.water-eau.SC@canada.ca by Mar 13, 2020.
New Evidence Brief: Foraged Mushroom Consumption in Ontario
- Public Health Ontario has released a new evidence brief that looks at the practice of wild mushroom foraging in Ontario. Potential health hazards of consuming foraged mushrooms are examined as is the regulatory framework that may pertain to the sale of foraged mushrooms in Ontario. Many of the lessons learned in the Ontario context are applicable to the broader Canadian perspective.
Preparing and Conducting Work Meetings Within the Context of the Health Impact Assessment Process
- Created by the National Collaborating Centre for Healthy Public Policy (NCCHP), this guide is designed for teams responsible for carrying out an Health Impact Assessment (HIA) but also for anyone who might participate in an HIA process.It contains information that will help determine 1) the tasks to be carried out in preparation for the meeting 2) the meeting's agenda 3) the support materials that might be required for the meeting 4) how much time to allocate for the meeting. It also provides practical advice to ensure the meetings run smoothly.
Healthy Built Environment Newsletter
- The NCCEH has created a new newsletter for those interested in receiving updates on topics related to the Healthy Built Environment. Sign up is simple: go to our automated email management page (don't be alarmed that the page doesn't recognize you), enter your email address, select "Healthy Built Environment Newsletter" from the list of newsletter options and then click "Submit". Your existing account will be updated with the new subsciption.
Video: Finding Safe Drinking Water in an Emergency
- In an emergency or disaster, access to safe drinking water is essential to survival. Preparation is key! This short explainer video provides some tips on preparing for a water emergency, and principles for treating drinking water in an emergency.
Ready-to-Eat Meats: Assessing the Food Safety Risks