Bluewater Park and King Edward Bay Water Systems are currently experiencing a reduction in capacity to the existing wells that support the Water Systems. This is resulting in a diminished water supply during a time that is already experiencing earlier and drier weather conditions. At this time, Bowen Island Municipality is implementing Water Restrictions for Bluewater Park and King Edward Bay Water Systems. Stage 4 of the Water Conservation Guidelines should be followed.
What is not permitted?
- Residents must refrain from all outdoor watering.
- Do not use garden hoses, irrigation systems, sprinklers or hand watering with watering cans.
- No filling of pools, hot tubs or fountains.
- Refrain from washing driveways, sidewalks, vehicles, boats or other equipment.
- Power washer are not permitted.
Other Means to Reduce Water Consumption:
- Shortening your shower by 2 minutes can save 40 litres of water.
- Turning off taps when brushing your teeth can save 10 litres of water.
- Cut down on flushing your toilet. Every time you flush you use up to 14 liters of water.
- Mulch around trees and shrubs to retain water in the soil.
- Add compost to the soil in your garden to maintain soil moisture.
- Keep a jug or pitcher of drinking water in the fridge to avoid running the tap until it gets cold.
How long will it last?
- Water restrictions in Bluewater Park and King Edward Bay are anticipated to continue for a minimum of three weeks.
- A well driller has been working to drill a new well, and/or to deepen an existing well. The work is taking longer than originally anticipated.
- The well should increase production levels to exceed demands on the System.
- Updates will be posted on ALERTS
- Public Works will continue to monitor the production of the wells on a daily basis. When well production increases to sustainable levels, the water restrictions will be lifted.
Please call Public Works at 604-947-0613