All consultant lobbyists and senior officers are required by the Lobbyists Registration Act, 1998 to update their registration within 30 days of any change to the information in the registration occurring.
What do we mean by changes? The changes fall into three categories:
- Changes to the content of a registration
- Changes to account profile
- Change to the name of the senior officer (in-house lobbyists only)
In this issue, we are focusing on the first category - changes to the content of a registration. Some examples:
- A new lobbying goal or activity (Read more about lobbying activity here)
- New targets of lobbying - e.g. ministers' office, MPP, ministry or agency
- A Bill receives Royal Assent and becomes a law
- The government is beginning work on the regulations of a new law
- A change in the structure of the lobbying organization, such as a merger, requires an amendment to the description of the organization
- An employee, including the senior officer if applicable, begins lobbying for your organization, or stops lobbying for your organization
- An update to the business address of your client (for consultant lobbyists only; note that new clients require new registrations)
This is not an exhaustive list! It’s best to review your registration(s) monthly and update the information that has changed.
How do I make a change to the content of my registration?
- Login to your lobbying account.
- Select Change an existing registration (not a renewal) from the menu page.
- Select the registration you wish to change.
- When the registration is displayed, review each section and click the “Edit” button found below the section or sections you want to update.
- Make the needed changes to all sections and then click “Save”.
- When the registration is displayed, scroll to the bottom of the page, type in your name to certify the change and click “Submit”. Note: the change will not be immediate. You will receive an email confirmation when the change has been reviewed and published.
Remember: Submitting a Change is not an Annual or Semi-Annual Renewal. Even if you recently made a change to your registration, you will still need to submit a renewal when you receive an email reminder.