SUTURE KITS AVAILABLE FROM ISLAND HEALTH
During the pandemic, reducing transfers to acute care has become of increasing importance. In April 2020, as part of the Victoria-South Island LTCI’s COVID Response Plan, the LTCI assembled and distributed suture kits to 15 care homes that expressed an interest. From June to September 2020, the LTCI followed-up with the homes to collect reports on the usefulness of the kits. From April to September 2020 (6 months), 8 care homes used their kits 19 times, and 18 acute care transfers were prevented. This process demonstrates that when LTC homes have laceration repair supplies available, physicians are able to make in-home suturing a standard practice, and acute care transfers decrease.
To continue and sustain this positive initiative, the LTCI has partnered with Island Health to develop a new process for care homes to acquire suture repair kits. We are happy to announce that laceration repair kit supplies are now available for Island Health owned-and-operated and affiliate sites via the below steps:
- Site Manager/DOC to send an email to Laurie Gnam email@example.com to request 1+ kits (order placements to be limited to once per month or quarter)
- Laurie records orders and notifies The Summit Stores team of the requests
- Laurie notifies sites when kits are ready for pickup
- Sites are responsible for picking up the kits from reception at The Summit
* Affiliate sites will be billed by Island Health for kits purchased through this process.
For further information regarding the new process for obtaining suture repair kits from Island Health, please contact: Sarah.Metcalfe@viha.ca
Private Care Homes
Unfortunately, private care homes unaffiliated with Island Health are unable to access laceration repair kits via Island Health and will need to use their own procurement processes. The LTCI website has a list of suture kit supplies and contact details for the Stevens Company, who assisted the LTCI with previous procurement of supplies in April 2020. Please contact the LTCI to problem-solve any procurement issues that may arise at your site.