To: 12 Existing OLBA Candidates & BIO’s
RE: Update from the Nominations Chair, Candidates Accepted to date March 28, 2019
The OLBA Board of Directors Elections Saturday April 27th 2019 AGM
As of today, we have 12 confirmed Candidates for the 12 board positions and I do have to accept any additional candidate forms up to and including April 13th.
The OLBA Members are very fortunate to have such a talented slate of directors for 2019-20, and we thank them all for their personal commitment to the sport of bowls! If you have new ideas or can assist on the 23 sub-committees of the OLBA. Each member is welcome to phone or email any of the candidates.
Ontario Lawn Bowls Association
245 Commercial St
Milton, Ontario L9T 2J3
905-878-0951 Fax 416-352-7496 firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy.
You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in”.
Steve Schuknecht (519) 363-0915
Running for President Position also willing to be VP or Board of Directors positions
My name is Steve Schuknecht. I seek the position of President of Ontario Lawn Bowls.
- For the past 19 years I have been bowling in Chesley. I am a Past-President of the Chesley Bowling Club. I take the tournament entries for the club and continue to be the club’s greenskeeper. I am the District 8 Chairperson and have held this position for several years. In this capacity I have chaired district meetings, convened and supervised district playdowns and acted as liaison to the OLBA Executive. I have been on the Board of Directors of the OLBA for the past 2 years. I have acted as the Boards’ Youth Director during this time. I have also convened Ontario Championship competitions. As a bowler, I have represented District 8 at numerous Ontario Championships. In 2013 I played at the Canadian Championships in Vancouver.
- I believe that I have the qualities and experience, both on and off the greens, that are needed for the role of OLBA President.
- I have an honest and direct style of communication. I am a good listener and I am open and responsive to all OLBA members ideas and concerns. I am very approachable and accommodating. I am very much a team player.
- I am open-minded and flexible. I deal with conflicts in a respectful and non-confrontational manner. I am a good problem-solver.
- I am willing and able to commit to the time and effort required to fulfill all obligations as your President.
- I would consider it an honour and a privilege to serve as the next President of Ontario Lawn Bowls.
Phillip Francis (416) 488-4695
Existing OLBA Vice President running for President
I am asking for your support for election to the position of President, Board of Directors, OLBA.
- Elected to the OLBA Board of Directors in 2015 and appointed by the Board with responsibilities for grants and funding.
- Elected as Vice President and (director grants and funding) in 2016 and again in 2017, during which time I completed the updated application process for OLBA to be qualified as the Ontario Provincial Sport Organization (PSO) for lawn bowling.
- Completed the revised application process for a grant for the 2017 – 2019 Ontario Amateur Sport Fund which resulted in OLBA receiving a funding allocation of up to $29,410 for each of 2017 and 2018-19 (a total amount of $58,820 over two years).
- Chaired committee responsible for the development of the OLBA Strategic Plan 2019 – 2022, annual OLBA operational plan reporting template and developed policies (23) in compliance with funding requirements as posted on the OLBA governance and policy section of the OLBA website.
- Completed Ontario Trillium Fund registration criteria to enable OLBA member clubs to apply for 2017 Capital Grants. Supported Whitby and Beeton LBC Trillium grant applications, both of which were successful.
- Provided over 20 letters in support of Club applications for funding under the federal New Horizon program.
Leaside Lawn Bowling Club
- Elected to Leaside Lawn Bowling Club as vice president 2007, president 2008 (four years). Other club positions included greens director and director special events, LLBC District Representative.
- Introduced “Rock n Bowl program”, resulting in ongoing success in the recruitment of curlers from Leaside Curling Club to Leaside LBC .
- Introduced corporate team building programs and developed various ongoing relationships to assist charitable organizations with fundraising including Lawn summer Nights - Cystic Fibrosis, Stephen Leacock Foundation and a significant number of community events over the past nine years. (over $10,000 continues to be raised annually to support club development).
- In 2011, provided leadership in the renovation of Leaside Lawn Bowling Club under the Federal Recreation Infrastructure Program. (appprox $300,000)
- Australia, employed by the Defense Department for 20 years (six in active service in the Royal Australian Navy) and as a civilian in senior administrative and management roles.
- Canada, held senior management positions with responsibility for the development and implementation of human resources policies covering employee relations, pay equity, compensation management, employment equity and human rights compliance. (Maclean Hunter and Rogers Communications)
- 2012 Founding Member of Leaside Sports Hall of Fame, current Board member and secretary.
- Sixteen years experience as board member of two condominium boards (nine years as president).
- Australian Defence Medal (Naval Service 1967 – 1973)
- Australian Service Medal (with Clasp –Papua New Guinea (1971 – 1973)
- In 2012 Queens Jubilee Medal for Community Service (Leaside LBC).
- 2017 Received the Member of Parliament (Rob Oliphant) Canada Sesquicentennial Citizenship Award
- All of the above was accomplished with the assistance and support of my wife and lawn bowls partner Adele.
John Fantin (519) 436-7077
Existing OLBA Treasurer running for re-election 2 year term
- lawn bowling for 19 years and have entered numerous competitions & tournaments and played in Provincial playdowns on several occasions.
- District Chair for numerous years as well as President of the Tilbury Lawn Bowling Club for the past several years.
- greenskeeper for my own club, Tilbury Lawn Bowling Club
- I have completed level two Umpire course as well as having completed the coaching course.
- board of directors and secretary/treasurer for the Tilbury Golf and Curling Club for 26 years as well as chairman of the curling leagues.
- board of directors for the Tilbury & District Chamber of Commerce for 24 years, Treasurer for 12 years, and was the initial organizer of the Business Improvement Area (BIA) in Tilbury.
- Iowned my own business, did my own books for 25 years and now maintain books for my own rental properties,the farm and several other small retail and rental operations.
- supervise the maintenance of books for a large restoration business.
- chairman of a trust fund for the municipality of Chatham Kent responsible for several hundred thousand dollars.
- board of directors and Treasurer of the Chatham Granite Club, our local curling club.
- I have been the OLBA treasurer for the past two and a half years.
Ron Charles 905-884-5470
OLBA interim Secretary running for 1 year term
Bowling since 2005
- On the executive of the Richmond Hill LBC including 5 years as President
- Competed in District and Provincial Championships
- On the executive for District 11 as Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer
- Convener for District Championships
- On the OLBA Board of Directors for extended 2 year term as a Director at Large
- Currently Interim Secretary
- Coached community softball and T ball teams
- Organized the social league at the curling club
- On the Nominations Committee of the Town of Richmond Hill’s Hall of Fame
- Chairperson of organizing committees for corporate events
- Additional skills and competencies:
- Educatin – Accounting diploma from Seneca College
- Wrk experience at a large corporation included;
- Accounting – all aspects
- finance – budgets, statistics and analysis
- Business Management – contract compliance administration
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel
Ralph Ellis (416) 804-3214
Existing OLBA Board of Director term expires 2020 willing to run for Vice President
It’s all about money – The key to making all of out programs work – membership, greens, the championships. For us the key is using the tools at hand such as New Horizons Grants and Trillium grants to pump money not just into the OLBA but individual clubs.
Lawn Bowling Administrative Achievements
Established Grant and Membership Workshops to boost membership and increase the flow of grant money to clubs Increased online traffic and communications via social media on Facebook to the Ontario lawn bowling community Assisted clubs throughout Ontario with Marketing and PromotionsServed as Marketing and Membership Chair for 2017 to present1980s – Helped revise championships system from single knockout to double knockout
March 2012 to present Transit Operator at Mount Dennis and Queensway Bus Divisions
Nov. 2008 – March 2012 Operations Manager - PetSmart – at three locations - 7575 Weston Road
Trained Staff in AODA legislation
First Aid Certified and Health and Safety Certified
July – Nov. 2008 Sales Representative – Ken Shaw Lexus Toyota, 2336 St. Clair Avenue West Toronto, ON M6N 1K8
Feb. – July 2008 Sales Representative – Land Rover Jaguar Thornhill, 434 Steeles Ave West, Thornhill, Ontario
Feb.2007–Feb.2008 Sales Representative – Terrace Ford Lincoln, 900 Walkers Line, Burlington, Ontario
Completed 46 of a 50 available online Ford training courses
1987 - 2006 Owner (first Pet Valu Inc. franchise store to open in Canada)
Royal York Pet Foods Inc. operating as Pet Valu Store #73 (Royal York)
4242 Dundas Street West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M8X 1Y6
Became the chain leader in coupon redemptions every year but one from 1993 onwards due to aggressive marketing of manufacturer痴 coupons and the effective application of manufacturer displays and promotions
Established employee performance evaluation and training procedures that ensured a high level of customer service
1989 – 1993 Partnership Pet Valu Store (Sixpoints) 3843 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario,
1984 – 1987 Teaching Assistant ~ York University
Responsible for running seminars with undergraduate students, grading course materials and delivering lectures.
Sports & Memberships
1972 – Present Active member of several Canadian Lawn Bowling Clubs
1981 – 1983 President, Cornwall Whitham Lawn Bowling Club
1985 – 1988 Board Member, Ontario Lawn Bowls Association
- Won 1985 Ontario Pairs championship
- Won 1985 Canadian Pairs championship
- 3 Silver place finishes and 2 Bronze place finishes in Ontario Championships
- Sponsor of National Junior Lawn Bowling Pairs Championships
2004 – 2005 Executive Board Member of the Marine Aquarium Society of Toronto
2004 – 2006 Executive Board Member of the Toronto Willowdale Aquarium Society responsible for producing their monthly newsletter.
2005 – 2007 Executive Board Member, Etobicoke Lawn Bowling Club
2006 – 2008 Board Member, Ontario Lawn Bowls Association, District 11 Chair
2017 – Present Board Member Ontario Lawn Bowls Association
2016 – Present President James Gardens LBC
Nan M. Hendren 905-372-4045h 905-396-2212c
Board of Director running for either a 2 year or 1 year term
- I have been a member of the Cobourg Lawn Bowling Club since 1998. I have served on the Executive of the CLBC since 2003 in the role of recording Secretary, Vice President 2016, President 2017, Past President 2018 and recording Secretary 2019. Over the past 15 years I have participated in a number of In-Club, Open, District and Provincial tournaments.
- In 2011 obtained my Club Coaching certificate and I provide instruction to new bowlers and visitors to the CLBC.
- I have been on the Board of OLBA District 14 since 2014, as 2nd Vice-Chair, 1st Vice-Chair and Chair with my 6 year term ending this fall. District 14 has 9 clubs and over 800 bowlers. I have convened numerous District playdowns and in 2016 convened the Ontario Fours Championship in Etobicoke and the Eastern Triples Championships in Belleville. I have been involved on the organizing committees for the Provincial Youth and Mixed Pairs Championships held at the CLBC in 2016 and 2018
- Long-time member of the West Northumberland Curling Club in Cobourg, where I sit on the Facilities Committee, co-ordinate a league and organize an annual bonspiel, among other volunteer duties.
- During my 28 year career with the local school board, I worked in Human Resources gaining experience in policy writing, negotiations, labour relations, risk management and health & safety. In 1998, I obtained my Canadian Registered Safety Professional designation, now in a retired status.
- Very interested in Player Development, Risk Management and Board accountability for the member clubs of OLBA.
Board of Director running for a 2 year term
- I have been involved in lawn bowling since 2003, when I joined Highland Park Lawn Bowling club at age 13. I have been an active bowler ever since. Beyond being a regular club player I have competed regularly in novice and junior district competitions until 2008. Starting in 2014 I returned to district play and compete in two tournaments a year
- Beyond being an active and enthusiastic player I have always worked to give back to my club and the sport. I built Highland Park’s website at 15 then re-built it in 2018. I ran Highland Park’s annual garage sale, generating 20% of the clubs operating budget, from 2014 to 2017.
- I care deeply about my club and the game of lawn bowling and wish to contribute in building the lawn bowls community.
- I was the treasure of District 16 of the OLBA in 2015-16 which gave me my first exposure to the wider lawn bowls association world. As Treasurer I was responsible for budgets, collections, record keeping, managing the bank account and presenting the financial situation of the district to the executive
- I have always believed in the importance of volunteering. I have volunteered with my employer’s United Way Charity campaign for the last three years.
- I was very active with community organizations in my time at university. I rant the University of Waterloo Debate Society for several terms, serving variously as President, Treasurer, and Vice-President of Communications. A $20,000 a year organization the Debate Society gave me great experience in the issue recruitment, logistics, sponsorship and volunteer management form a community organization perspective. I also volunteered with the University of Waterloo Undergraduate History Students society, producing their annual journal in 2013
- I have several skills and competencies that I believe will contribute to the leadership and governance of the OLBA
- Primarily I will contribute my skills as an accountant; I work as an accountant in the public sector. I have significant experience in budgeting, forecasting, cost management, as well as strategic analysis and planning in a not for profit context. I am Chartered Professional Accountant candidate, writing the final qualification exam in September 2019.
- As well I have experience in web development and web marketing. I have built websites and managed social media profiles for a range of for profit and not for profit organizations. I was a social media manager for a national brand and also for my own firm. I also have done social media and online management for various community organizations including my own bowling club Highland Park.
Board of Director for a 1 year term
- I started bowls during the summer of 2017 at Markham Lawn Bowling Club. In my two years there I’ve been involved in helping with tournament play, membership drives, grounds maintenance and planning strategic options for the clubs ongoing viability. I’m also in my second winter at Richmond Green Indoor Lawn Bowling club, I sit on the club’s executive as Vice President and I’ve initiated their Facebook presence and I maintained their website-in addition to on-going VP duties.
- Competed in many association-sanctioned tournaments, including the Novice Singles where I won my club and districts and enjoyed the provincials in Ottawa 2018.
- Representing the RGILBC at district meetings
- Other experience in voluntary & community organizations include
- Junior Achievement mentor
- Led United Way campaign for Sun Life Financial
- Read and recorded technical books for the blind.
- I retired from Sun Life as a VP responsible for digital strategy
- This entailed significant skills in digital technology (web, social media, development) Marketing, strategic planning and influence skills. I reported to the Corporate Chief Marketing Officer and President of Canada. My Team comprised of about 100 marketing and communication specialists.
- MBA graduate from Rotman School of Business.
Mary Lou S. Richards
Board of Director 1 year Term
- .Brief summary of Lawn Bowls experience in community:
- Caching Chair for Leaside Lawn Bowling Club from 2015-2017
- Caching Chair for Cosburn Lawn Bowling Club from 2015-2018
- Cmmittee Member for Coaching & Player Development from 2016 to present
- Cnducting workshops for players and coaches development at club level and in the province with OLBA from 2015 to present
- Brief experience in an amateur lawn bowls association
- Club Executive
- Oak Bay LBC Victoria BC – 2013-2014
- Cosburn Park LBC, East York ON – 2015-2018
- BC Silver Ladies 4’s - 2011 & 2012
- BC Gld - Ladies Pairs Champions of Champions 2012- Lead
- ON Gld – Ladies 4’s 2017
- ON Silver, Natinal Silver – Ladies 4’s 2018
- Natinal Jr Team Squad Member - 2019-2020 term
- Previous experience with OLBA
- Conducting workshops for Players
- Learning facilitator for training new Coaches
- Learning Facilitatr
- Intrduction Competition Coach
- Bwls Competition Introduction Evaluator
- Cach Evaluator
- Master Cach Developer
- Perfrmance Coach
- Experience with other voluntary or community organization
- Philippine Natinal Red Cross – volunteer instructor for First Aid & CPR
- Urban Search and Rescue Victria BC – 2012-2014
- Caching Chair
- Oak Bay LBC – Victoria, BC 2013-2014
- Cosburn Park LBC – East York ON 2015-2018
- Leaside LBC – Leaside ON 2015-2017
- Vlunteer for Saanich BC – face painting, teaching assistant.
- Additional skills and competencies
- Curse Director – National Association of Underwater Instructors, taught scuba diving in all levels fr 12 years
- BS Fine Arts majring in Advertising – University of the Philippines
- Lifelng learner
Dave Burrows (905) 639-3546
Existing OLBA Board of Director running for re-election for either a 2 year or 1 year term
- Served positions over the past 10 years for BLBC:
- Club Caching
- Club Champinship Chair
- OBA Open Singles Drawmaster & Spnsor
- Club Spnsorship Chair
- Served Positions for the OLBA
- Caching & Player Development chair 2013-21
- OLBA Histrian 2017-19
- OLBA Statistician fr District winners for 25 years
- Served Positions for Bowls Canada
- Natinal Team selector 2005-08
- Nrth American Challenge Chair 2008
- Nrth American Challenge Coach for Canada 2008
- Served Position for Canadian Short Mat Association
- President 2015-19
- Drawmaster fr the CSMBA National Championship 2017-18
- Manager f the CSMBA National Team at the World Championships
Charles Roach (905) 336-0410
Existing Board of Director running for re-election 2 year term
- Interim OLBA director appointed 2018 due to vacancy
- OLBA Greens Chairperson
Existing Board of Director member not up for re-election until April 2020