Get ready for the return of the Car Trunk Sale, bring the kids to a playground for summer fun and we're Out and About for July. Read on for more!
Last Day to Vote Nanaimo For Music Town
Nanaimo is competing against Lloydminster, AB/SK, Sylvan Lake, AB, and Estevan, SK in the Western region to win an epic concert experience from Dallas Smith this fall funded by SiriusXM and Live Nation Canada.
Cast your vote and increase our odds of winning by taking to social to earn rally points towards the ultimate prize using #SXMMusicTown. Today, July 11, is the last day to vote!
Dog Off-Leash Areas
This time of year dogs are not allowed on beaches. However, Nanaimo has 11 year-round and 1 seasonal off-leash dog areas to take your four-legged friend to. Each dog off-leash park includes a dispenser stocked with biodegradable doggie bags and a trash bin. Even though an area or trail is designated off-leash, you are still required to pick up after your dog and dispose of the bags in a designated garbage bin, please do not throw into the bushes.
Out and About
We're out and about for July and sharing information on upcoming events around town including the Playground Program, Car Trunk Sale, Hidden Messages Poetry Project and the new mobi-mat® at Departure Bay Beach. Watch the video below to learn more!
The Playground Program is for children ages 5 to 12 and offers a variety of games, arts, crafts and sports.
- Harewood Centennial Park: Mon to Fri, 10 am-3:30 pm
- Mansfield Park: Mon to Fri, 10 am-3:30 pm
- Country Hills Park: Mon & Tues, 10 am-3:30 pm, Wed, 1:30-7 pm
- Groveland Park: Thurs & Fri, 10 am-3:30 pm
Children ages 6 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Parents are always welcome. Please ensure your child has a hat, water and sunscreen.
Calling All Bargain Hunters!
Join us on Saturday, July 16, 2022 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Country Club Mall parking lot to find a bargain or a unique buy at the third annual(ish) Nanaimo Recycles Car Trunk Sale. This free to attend reuse event aims to give unwanted household items a longer lease on life and to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill.
Most of us love to travel, but the best place for your blue, green and black carts is to stay where they belong, your home! You can help make sure your cart doesn't get a sense of wanderlust by placing them out the morning of collection day and putting them away after collection or at the end of the day. If you see a cart being taken or one that has travelled to where it shouldn't be, please contact Public Works at 250-758-5222.
Bike, walk, roll on Boxwood
Mobility Improvement Projects are happening all over the city this summer, including the new multi-use shoulder on Boxwood Road – check out the mobility improvements page on the City website for more projects on the go!
Meet the new STOP sign at the Wallace/Albert/Victoria/Commercial intersection. The sign is at the Commercial Street side, making what was a three-way stop into a four-way stop.
Will Your Commute Be Affected This Week?
Up-to-date information on City construction projects:
- Cameron Road will be closed at 4:00 pm July 16 through to 6:00 pm July,19.
- Metral Drive is still under active construction, so please drive slowly, respect the new 3-way stops, and expect delays while navigating the construction zone. All businesses remain open and accessible.
- Watermain upgrades are underway on Laguna Way east of the intersection with Lost Lake Road. Commuters can expect minor delays.
- Nottingham Drive is closed between Hammond Bay Road and Cumberland Place. Commuters should plan to access Nottingham from the north end.
- Utility upgrades are taking place on Cottleview Drive and Hillside Avenue between Caldwell Street and Pacific Edge Way. Commuters can expect minor delays.
- Fourth Street, between Bruce Avenue and Pine Street is open, however it is still an active construction site. Final construction and restoration works will be completed over the following weeks. Pedestrians and cyclists please use caution. Drivers should expect single lane alternating traffic at times, and obey all traffic control signage and persons.
CURRENT CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
Work with Us!
We are currently looking for candidates to fill the following positions:
- Casual Wastewater Systems Operator-In-Training
- Casual Labourer Pool
- Zero Waste Coordinator
- Building Official
- Community Safety Officer (12)
- Planner - Temporary Full-Time
- Buyer - Temorary Full-Time
- Recreation Coordinator Aquatics
- Head Lifeguard/Instructor - Temporary Full-Time
- Casuals - Police Services
- Engineering Services Technologist
- Custodian - Relief Pool
- Casual Lifeguard/Instructors
Meetings this Week
Next Regular Council Meeting is scheduled for Monday, July 18 at 7:00 pm.
Did you know?
On Monday, July 4 Council adopted a new City Plan: Nanaimo ReImagined, City Plan Bylaw 2022 No. 6600.
You can watch live meetings, view a list of upcoming meetings, read agendas and watch recordings of past meetings all in one place on the City website.