Will Your Commute Be Affected This Week?
Up-to-date information on City construction projects:
Midtown Water Supply Project
- Construction is underway in the Black Diamond Drive Neighbourhood, construction is 7am-7pm, the road closure is 24 hours per day with one way local and emergency vehicle traffic only along Black Diamond Drive entering from Crows Nest Place towards Coal Tyee Trail / Venuti Way to Jingle Pot Road. The western access to Black Diamond Drive from Jingle Pot Road will be closed with vehicular traffic detoured to enter at the eastern access. The speed limit is reduced to 30 km/h. Drivers must slowdown in work zones and pay close attention to signage.
- The trail that connects VIU, the Black Diamond neighbourhood and Third Street is closed to the public. This area is an active construction site for the installation of the water supply main. Construction traffic will enter and exit the work zone at Third Street across from the Rotary Field House.
- Commuters can expect minor delays along many streets in the City while the construction crews progress on this project. The construction will create visual distractions and minor delays for commuters. Drivers, pay close attention to signage and the construction traffic as they enter and exit these sections of the project:
- East Wellington, Westwood Road to Bowen Road
- Griffiths Road, end to Madsen Road
- Third Street across from the Rotary Fieldhouse
- Along the Parkway visual distractions of the project construction will be noticeable at between Northfield Road south to Jingle Pot Road.
- Night Work starting Monday January 29 will be occurring along the Parkway between Exit 18 Jingle Pot Rd and Exit 16 Fifth Street / College Drive. Construction hours are 7pm to 6am. The center lane will be closed in both directions. Expect minor delays. Work is expected to be active for three nights however it could be until Saturday February 3 at 6am.
Thank you for your patience! Learn more about this project: Midtown Water Supply Upgrades.
- Terminal Avenue upgrades will be ongoing between Commercial Street and Esplanade Street.
- The mid-block crosswalk at Gordon Street is closed until the installation of the new signals, expected late this year:
- Pedestrians please use the crosswalks at Commercial Street and Esplanade for safe crossing
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Speed limit will be reduced as this will be an active construction zone.
- Obey all signs and traffic control personnel.
Sixth Street Watermain Upgrade
- Construction work is ongoing on Sixth Road between Bruce Avenue and Park Avenue
- Typical construction hours are Monday to Friday, 7 am to 5 pm
- Commuters are encouraged to avoid this area if possible. If that is not possible, expect delays and account for extra time when navigating the area
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction
- Obey all signs and traffic control persons
CURRENT CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS